Tuesday, February 2, 2010

We're crafty, yes we are....








One of the best parts of chairing Bouchercon is getting to know people I might not otherwise meet. The other day I had the pleasure of having lunch with the wonderful Camille Minichino.

We talked about how much fun the craft room was in Indianapolis - so much fun, that we're going to continue the tradition in San Francisco.

There are those who, when they think of crafts, think of Miss Marple-type lades sitting in a rocking chair with their knitting needles.....that's not quite accurate. Click below to see what I mean (from a great George Romero movie):




I don't know about you, but when I'm reading Michael Connelly, I want to listen to some great jazz. Whenever I read a Spenser novel, I want to a) go to Boston and b) cook something yummy. Which says something about the power of Robert B. Parker's writing, because I hate cooking and have big plans to turn my kitchen into a walk-in closet.





So I think it'll be a blast for people to be able to actually make the things that their favorite characters make, with the authors who've written the books.

Camille is running the show, and talks about it today on her blog, Killer Hobbies.

If I get brave, I might actually try to make something my very own self ;-)





7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not crafty AT ALL but love trying to make stuff so this sounds fun, Rae! People had better step back, though, if I'm anywhere near the glue gun.

February 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM  
Blogger Camille Minichino said...

We're ready for you, glue guns and all!

It was wonderful to meet Rae and capture some of her great enthusiasm for Bouchercon in San Francisco.

We're in good hands!

Camille

February 2, 2010 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Joanna Campbell Slan said...

Rae, you just met one of my favorite people, my blog sister Camille. We had so much fun at Bouchercon 2009. Folks not only had the chance to try new hobbies, they also enjoyed putting their feet up for an hour and meeting new friends. I believe some readers saw our books in a new light. After all, you can't write a craft mystery without doing your homework! And all of us participants were well-versed in our subjects. I look forward to sharing scrapbooking with the Bouchercon visitors to the west coast.

February 3, 2010 at 7:50 AM  
Blogger Rae Helmsworth said...

I'm so pleased that you all are looking forward to the craft room. I can't wait to see the results of all the fun ;-)

February 3, 2010 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Mysti Lou said...

Can't wait to spend quality time with Camille and crafts. Her "minnie"s are always a marvel!

Mysti

February 3, 2010 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger Mysti Lou said...

p.s. I think I meant "mini"s, because I can never spell the whole word properly. This time I couldn't even spell the slang right :)

February 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM  
Blogger Camille Minichino said...

Rae --
I'm always amazed at what people who think they're not crafty come up with.

For one thing, they don't follow my directions well, and therefore go off on a truly creative tangent!

and Mysti -- I always end up spelling MINIchino!

February 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home